Celery is not exactly the most exciting food. But it may be the world’s healthiest. Are you trying to eat better? Start with celery! Celery is a great healthy food because it’s so versatile. We use it in almost everything, yet forget it’s there. It’s a component of most food-bases in the world, works great in soups, salads, or as a snack with some peanut butter or hummus.
Still not sold on celery? April is National Fresh Celery Month and we’re using part of this month to sell you on this amazing, underrated food. Here are just a few benefits you get from eating celery:
1. It’s a negative calorie food. Celery provides only positive net calories, making it the perfect diet food.
2. It’s rich in Vitamin K. A serving of celery provides you with almost 30 percent of your daily requirement of Vitamin K.
3. It’s loaded with other vitamins. Celery is a good source of B-Vitamins, Vitamin A and Vitamin C.
4. Eat celery, say goodbye to hypertension! Studies have shown celery juice to be very effective against hypertension, especially among pregnant women.
5. It contains a good amount of potassium. Most Americans don’t get enough potassium. Munch on some celery if you fall in this category. Increasing your potassium intake lowers blood pressure, improves overall heart health, bone density, and regulates your body’s fluids.
6. Celery keeps you hydrated. It has a high water content and packs a good amount of electrolytes, making celery a great post-workout snack!
7. Celery helps lower inflammation. Eating celery if you have arthritis or other inflammation eases your pain. That’s because celery is packed with molybdenum, which can also increase the strength of your teeth.
8. Celery prevents ulcers. A 2010 study in the Journal of Pharmaceutical Biology found that celery contains materials that protect the lining of the digestive tract. It also replenishes mucus in the stomach that guards against holes forming.
9. It contains lots of fiber. Celery is a good source of soluble fiber, which helps with digestion.
10. Celery helps the liver. A study by researchers in Egypt found celery reduces the amount of fat buildup in the liver.
11. Celery can protect you from UTIs. Urinary Tract Infections can be prevented by including celery in your diet, since it helps stimulate urine protection.
12. It makes guys look better. Celery has lots of androstenone and androstenol, two male pheromones. So if you’re a guy eat up and it may make you look better!
13. Celery can be used for medicine. Celery seeds have been used for centuries as a medicinal way to cure bacterial infections and other ailments.
So there you have it. Still don’t think celery matters? Start putting it in your food today and your health is sure to improve. And don’t forget the leaves are great in salads and soups too. Don’t throw them away.
For more on Travel Care Air and other health tips follow us on Twitter.